Sunday, April 22, 2007

Meshary Alruwaih

I just opened The Kuwait Times web site to check if Meshary Alruwaih (the writer who wrote "How To Survive 10 Days In Riyadh") had any other articles about Saudi Arabia, and i just found out that he has an article "Saudi Arabia...I'm Sorry."

I felt waay better knowing thaat he didn't mean all the things he wrote earlier and I am sorry for calling you A Racist...

Here is the article he wrote quoting it from the newspaper's site:

"You know how sometimes you joke with a friend by teasing him or trying to be sarcastic about the way he looks or behaves? Usually you mean no harm, and certainly you didn't mean any disrespect. Still your harmless humour can end up causing discomfort to your close friend to the point that you see it through his eyes. Suddenly you realise how silly your remarks were, and you swiftly apologise.

I would like to apologise to Saudi Arabia.

A few months ago I wrote an article titled "How to survive 10 days in Riyadh" describing how boring my visit to Riyadh was, and making 10 basic rules to help me survive the boredom and depressing atmosphere of that city.
At the time it was published it did not really draw a lot of attention. But about a week ago, my article was all over the net sent to people as an attachment and posted on many forums.

I started getting tons of emails from Saudi guys, slamming my article. Some were respectful, others could not control their temper. But all agreed that the piece was offensive to their city of Riyadh and to the whole kingdom.

For that, I am sorry. In no way do I hold any negative feelings toward their country, the kingdom is dearly held in the hearts of many Kuwaitis, including mine, and its role during the Iraqi invasion is never forgotten and will always be appreciated.

Let me tell you something, writers love attention, they love their articles to be talked about, whether positive or negative, it does not matter as long as their names are mentioned and their ideas are being circulated, clearly that article achieved just that for me.

But I don't want to be known as the guy who talked ill about Saudi Arabia, I hate to have my name associated with any offences toward the capital of our big sister, if attacking the kingdom is the way to popularity, then I do not want it.

I see writing as a career, not something that I do when I have spare time so I'm aiming big, I dream and I aim for a future in this career, And believe me I do not want to be remembered one day as the guy who assaulted his neighbours.
So, yes, I do regret writing that article, still I do not regret the experience that taught me many lessons including the need to apologise when you offend a person or a society.

Apologies are not easy to make as they involve dignity and pride. But when you are wrong you are wrong, and when you apologise to your brothers they understand that your apology is not because you are weak. On the contrary, it's because you have the strength to come out publicly and say I'm sorry.

And certainly I do not regret the opportunity that allowed me to get to know a few Saudi guys who kindly explained to me how hurtful my words were and even invited me to Riyadh to see its good side and change my idea about it, very kind and generous invitations indeed. But I do know the good side of Riyadh and the kindness of its people. Maybe next time I'll visit Riyadh I'll come up with a new article titled 'How to enjoy 10 days in Riyadh.' "

5 comments:

eshda3wa said...

i read that article a while back

i can see why saudis would get offended

he should have known better

you dont just "joke" like that

well i guess now he learnt a lesson he would never forget

Saudi... said...

thx eshda3wa bs he its good that he wrote the other article...and its really big of him to admit he was wrong and i appreciate that..

Anonymous said...

Why we, Arabs, get offended if someone says the truth? Criticism by itself , can be a good prescription for change.

Frankly speaking, I still believe that Mishary was right in every single word he said. Guys, you have such a dull and boring country, look for instance how Saudis behave once they go out of their country. For me as Bahraini, I see Saudis in Bahrain every week behaving like they have reached a heaven. I don’t blame you guys.

Anonymous said...

http://oneofthose3.blogspot.com/2007/05/planning-trip-to-kuwait-essential.html

check this piece out

Unknown said...

Hey guys lets forget the personal sentiments towards each other get back to business ;). Need to buy iphone, G1 T-Mobile, Playstation, X-Box, Wii, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, HTC, all kind of electronic beauties please i beg you to contact me at ipmart_rukas@hotmail.com lol hehe...sorry guys. just some words of to leave here